Sunday, July 6, 2014

White dress with blue crochet endings

I got this fabric from my mother-in-law's collection. It was common for women in USSR to collect fabrics and quit sewing when borders were open in 1990-s and shops became full of all kinds of clothing.

First idea which comes to mind when you decide what to sew from such a fabric is a blouse in peasant style. But I had one already. And creating such a blouse would be very trivial project. So I decided to start different one.
60s_2
It was a dress, published in a Soviet magazine in 1960-s: thanks to popularity of vintage. I suppose authors of this dress had in mind fabric with a print when designed it. And I had to create a dress which does not look like a lingerie. This is how idea of crochet endings came from. When I designed pattern of the endings I decided to repeat geometrical motifs of the fabric, but not to repeat them literally. This is how circles were converted to triangles.
60s_1
Technical part was easy: I acquired blue and white "Altın Başak" cotton yarn, took crochet #1.25 and knitted it. Fitting was easy too: crocheted trims are flexible and I simply stretched and eased when needed.

60s_detail_1
60s_detail_3
60s_detail_2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The dress is beautiful, and you look as if you are from the 60-s)To use triangles instead of circles is a good idea -gives your dress a kind of geometrical touch, very popular at that time. You managed to convey the spirit of the epoche!